welcome to my blog. Sharing God's goodness with you in a wide and wonderful world.. so glad you are here.

Sunday 20 January 2013

The Gift Of A Bargain Movie



Sometimes sitting down as a family and watching a movie together can feel like a gift, and sometimes that movie can be the gift.
Recently we watched the movie THE ULTIMATE GIFT.
It is a profound and stirring movie.It has all of what I consider important elements of a great movie,
  wise wit and humor, cute actors,good music and beautiful scenery,( it does have a couple frightening scenes for young children,my two youngest chose not to watch these.) but most importantly it delivers something to take away with you, to hide in your heart and learn from....







My children are at the age where it can be increasingly difficult to find a movie we all enjoy, that is appropriate, and worth our time.
I don't believe  things just happen, so I know God's hand was in even such a simple thing as leading me into the store that I usually don't go in and searching through a bargain bin and finding this movie.

I just love when something as entertaining; but thought provoking, as a movie  can hit home and hopefully say things to my children that can influence their teenage perception of life and beyond.
That is certainly what I took from this movie,
and as my children grow and find themselves in a world driven and obsessed by greed and self... I hope that the seeds that have been planted in their hearts in various ways;  some by the mere power  of a movie they watched at home on a windy, Saturday evening , will somehow shape and mold them into being instruments of gratitude and  grace far beyond themselves.

             


"The school will teach children how to read, but the environment of the home must teach them WHAT to read. The school can teach them how to think, but the home must teach them WHAT to believe." ~ Charles A. Wells
                                                                      ( also true for movies I think.)

  
side note...' I  can't believe this movie has been out since 2006, and I don't think I have ever heard of it!!! - actually I can believe it..., movies aren't really something I stay on top of. :)
now I would like to read the book as it has been my experience that the books tend to be better, I have a hard time believing that in this case, but I will find out!


                Do you have a favorite movie?? and why?



7 comments:

  1. Dearest Lucy!

    Good evening! How nice to meet you and to see that you have visited my blog and left a comment! You look very familiar; perhaps we have crossed paths before. Oh movies....you mention that I should have been in the movie industry!!!!!! I certainly love to create "moving stories", that is for sure! I was in the theatre years ago, so that has influenced my art and blogging life.

    Oh you ask which is my favorite movie? I have so many. One of my all time favorites is LION IN WINTER with Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. WHY? The chemistry between them both upstages the beautiful scenery and story. It is just a masterpiece.

    Now on to dinner and a movie for me tonight; it is below zero here and a cozy evening is in order! THANKS AGAIN! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Anita, you are so sweet. That movie sounds like one I want to see. Stay warm ,Lucy.

      Delete
  2. It looks relly good Lucy. I've never heard of it either.
    Hmmm a favourite movie? I have so many that I really like but what comes to mind is
    Little Women"...the close bond of family is what draws me in and the intimacy of sisters.
    Its a cold, but cozy evening for a movie tonight. ;)
    Blessings my friend..stay warm xo

    All my heart,
    Deborah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi kind Deborah, Little women is also a fave of mine,watched it recently with my two youngest...until the sad scene when Beth dies...we couldn't handle that that night.I hope you are warm and cozy.Hugs~ Lucy.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a nice movie to watch, Lucy. I've never heard it before either. The main thing is being together and watching it as a family. I love the movie, Under The Tuscan Sun. I like the concept that even though she lost everything, she went to another country and started over and found happiness again. I love the scenes of Italy too. Jess went to Tuscany, and when she was there she told me to watch Under The Tuscan Sun.....so I did, and thought about her. I couldn't believe she was in Italy, so far away traveling by herself....brave girl.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very brave daughter and mother too:)Thanks Sheri,I saw that movie awhile back,
    I'll add it to my 'watch again' list.L~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a good movie...that's rare these days!! I'm not sure if I have a favorite. I will need to think about it.
    Hoping your week will me a sweet week. Much love, Rayanne

    ReplyDelete

thank you and blessings for words from your heart...